Now I am no expert when it comes to gardening and in the past I've mainly planted seedlings or seeds directly into the garden bed. But this year I am more organized than usual and decided to try raising some seedlings from seed to use in my vegie patch this summer.
For this project you will need;
Egg carton trays
Seed raising mix
1. Place the seed raising mix into the egg cartons almost to the top.
2. Then put a seed into the mix of each compartment of the egg tray
3. Gently water seed raising mix until its damp
4. Keep the soil moist but not wet. Place the trays in a green house or somewhere inside that gets the sun while the seeds sprout.
5. You will need to harden up the plants before transferring them into the garden by bringing them outside during the day and putting them back indoors during the night.
6. Once this has been done for a week or so its time to plant. Cut the compartments up and place directly into your prepared garden bed. The cardboard will decompose and you don't have to touch, and risk damaging, the seedling in the process.
A great way to make the most of something that otherwise would have been throw out.