125 gms butter
¾ cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon rind
2 cups self-raising flour
¼ cup milk
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ walnuts (optional)
For the glaze ¼ cup lemon juice and ¼ cup sugar
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160° in a fan oven)
- Prepare a 22 cm loaf tin by greasing with a little butter or line the base of the tin with baking paper
- Cream butter, sugar and lemon rind in a bowl till light and fluffy
- Add eggs and beat well
- Sift in flour and salt alternately with the milk and lemon juice. Stir the mixture quickly but lightly so it doesn’t curdle when you add the juice. Then add the walnuts if using.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes or until the loaf springs back when lightly touched.
- For the glaze, stir the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Pour glaze over the loaf as soon as it is out of the oven.
- Leave in the tin until cool
- If you want to serve the loaf warm then carefully lift it out of the tin when it has cooled a bit and cut it into slices and on to serving plates
- Serve with plain yoghurt, whipped cream or even some butter when its hot out the oven.
Another option for using the walnuts is to place them on top of the loaf before baking- they turn out toasted on top and extra moreish once the glaze has been applied. Also if you would like a glaze with extra zing add some lime juice as well as the lemon, this makes for a very zesty delicious glaze.